Fibromyalgia is a vague diagnosis for chronic pain that varies for every individual. It’s a nebulous condition that can’t be diagnosed with a blood test, biopsy or radiological exam, which is why it remains so difficult to diagnosis and therefore treat. Patients with fibromyalgia know that they just feel bad, really bad. They are in constant pain and some days they can’t even get out of bed. Yet, many general physicians don’t know what to do for the people who are diagnosed with this condition, so they try pain medications or other types of drugs that may mask symptoms for a little while, but ultimately make the condition worse.
The way we at Shakthi approach fibromyalgia is to look at the condition as a gut health issue. We know that if the gut is unhealthy, the body’s ability to rid itself of toxins is diminished and the mitochondria, the energy producing cells of the body cannot work properly.
Really, what fibromyalgia means is that the body isn’t functioning properly at a cellular level.
Shakthi’s Approach to Treating Fibromyalgia
We know that many pain patterns actually start from our food choices. Food can trigger inflammation which in turn triggers pain. Pain and inflammation then invoke what is called the fight or flight response, an increase in the hormone cortisol in response to stress. It becomes a vicious cycle: the more stress the body is under, the more pain a person feels. So what can we do to treat patients with chronic pain and fibromyalgia?
- Look for food sensitivities. We typically begin the process of restoring gut health with an elimination diet to rid the gut of inflammation caused by certain foods such as gluten or dairy. Eliminating inflammatory foods can change and improve pain patterns.
- Add back essential nutrients. Often, when the gut isn’t healthy and the body is under constant stress, nutrients you take in from foods are not absorbed, leaving the body depleted. We add back macro and micronutrients through supplements, either oral or through IV.
- Eliminate bacteria and an overgrowth of yeast in the gut. Again, adding essential nutrients and eliminating inflammatory foods from the diet help heal what ails the gut.
- Get rid of toxins. When the gut is not healthy, toxins build up in the body. These toxins lead to increased pain and inflammation. We have a medically supervised detox program that will help restore gut health and lead to reduced stress and chronic pain.
- Lower stress levels and work on improving sleep patterns. When the body is under stress and people are in constant pain, sleep patterns are often disturbed. Many people with fibromyalgia have poor sleep patterns. We know that sleep helps the body heal itself which is why we focus on relaxation techniques like meditation, deep breathing exercises and acupuncture to help promote better sleep for the long term.
At Shakthi, we understand that fibromyalgia and chronic pain are real. We have seen patients who are bedridden, who have had to quit their jobs and whose pain has disrupted every aspect of their lives.
Every person is different, however, and treatment for fibromyalgia is a process. What makes our process successful is our whole body approach to treating and healing the body. We look at all systems of the body, how they work together, how a person’s gut health affects pain triggers and what solutions are necessary to bring the body back in balance, eliminate stress, improve function and reduce pain.
Essentially, we work to not only restore a person’s health, but to restore their hope.
With our team on their side and a patient’s dedication to making lifestyle changes both big and small, we’ve seen many people find a future free from the chains of fibromyalgia and chronic pain.
How can Shakthi help you overcome your chronic pain?
Call us to learn more about our approach to treating fibromyalgia at 301-703-5067.