You may have seen or used a traditional sauna, but have you heard of the infrared sauna? This type of sauna uses special infrared lamps to warm the body instead of high and intense heat to warm the air, like traditional saunas. The infrared sauna allows a person to spend longer amounts of time inside the sauna compared to a traditional sauna because the air is not stifling or so hot that it is only tolerable for a few minutes at a time.
In fact, some studies have shown that infrared sauna use, a few times per week, has healing effects on the body, particularly the heart. At Shakthi Health & Wellness Center, patients who use our infrared sauna for only 15 minutes per week experience significant health benefits including:
- Sweating allows the body to eliminate harmful toxins that accumulate in the body. Compared to traditional saunas, infrared saunas have been shown to eliminate more toxins over time because individuals can spend more time in the sauna without feeling overwhelmed or overheated.
- Relief from joint and muscle pain. Infrared saunas help relieve inflammation of the joints and muscles by increasing circulation and helping spastic muscles to relax. Many of our patients who are serious athletes and in rigorous training programs find that after 15 minutes in the sauna, muscle and joint pain is diminished significantly, helping their bodies recover after an intense workout.
- Stress reduction and relaxation. Not only does the penetrating heat relax the muscles of the body and eliminate toxins, but it also helps to lower high levels of the stress hormone cortisol. In addition to a good sweat, you’ll feel the stress start to ease as you soak up the healing warmth.
- Improved circulation. The heat from the infrared sauna helps to stimulate blood flow and increase heart rate, which also increases circulation and reduces inflammation.
- Increased metabolism and cardiovascular benefits. As your body’s core temperature rises, so does your heart rate. In fact, many people who use the infrared sauna have a similar increase in heart rate experienced during exercise. This elevated heart rate not only burns more calories and speeds up the metabolism, but can also have cardiovascular benefits such as a decrease in high blood pressure.
- Reduced appearance of cellulite and increased appearance of glowing skin. After just 15 minutes in an infrared sauna, many people say they glow. That’s because after sweating out toxins, the skin is cleansed and appears smoother and firmer. That’s also good news for areas of the body where cellulite tends makes an appearance.
At Shakthi, the infrared sauna is an integral component of the overall holistic health experience. Combined with a whole body approach to healing that includes effective therapies such as acupuncture and intravenous vitamin and mineral therapy, patients experience the unique integration of holistic and modern medicine to help you reach optimal health and healing.
Make your appointment for an infrared sauna session today!
Does infrared sauna influence hormones?
Yes. Saunas can help you to reach optimal hormonal balance, and stimulate hormone release. Some of the most notable benefits of saunas for the endocrine system are the reduction of cortisol, and the increase of growth hormone, beta-endorphins, prolactin, and norepinephrine secretion.
A very nice blog post. Thanks for sharing here.
Really effective and useful article.Thanks for sharing this helpful and knowledgeable article.Keep sharing.
It's valuable that you point out that using an infrared sauna can help relieve muscle pain. I've been experiencing a lot of muscle pain lately from playing football, so I'm considering visiting an infrared sauna. I'm going to search for a good infrared sauna in my area to use.
It's awesome that you elaborate on how using an infrared sauna can help relieve stress. My ongoing divorce has been causing me a lot of stress, so I'm thinking about finding an infrared sauna that I can use. I'm going to search for a good wellness centre in my area that has an infrared sauna.
I loved to go to saunas. Thanks for sharing this post here with us.
the infrared sauna is the best thing to loosen up and relax sore joints and muscles and to treat muscle stiffness. Especially when your in a labour intensive job and come home with backache from all the carrying and lifting. Its more convenient to have a sauna at home.
I just loved to read this blog. Thanks for sharing the health benefits of Saunas. Keep sharing such informative blogs.