Remember the iconic Chia Pets, marketed 30 years ago? They were called the pottery that grows and sprouting chia seeds became a cultural phenomenon!
Today, CHIA SEEDS (salvia hispanica) are a nutritional power house, providing many health benefits including Omega-3 and Omega 6 fatty acids, antioxidants, protein and fiber. They are grown primarily in South America and their nutritional and medicinal value can be traced back as far as the Aztecs who use the superfood for healing and endurance.
Facts about CHIA SEEDS:
- They contain twice the amount of protein found is most other grains and seeds.
- They have three times the amount of antioxidants found in blueberries.
- They are packed with calcium, containing the mineral boron that helps the body absorb and utilize calcium.
- They contains twice the amount of calcium found in a banana.
- They have THREE TIMES the amount of iron over spinach.
Tips for adding CHIA SEEDS to your diet:
- Chia seeds have a neutral taste, so you can add them to just about anything or eat them alone.
- You can add them to
- Protein Shakes
If you incorporate them into your diet regularly, it can help enhance the body’s ability to absorb nutrient from foods. It’s an excellent source of nutrition. You can find chia seeds in most grocery stores and are readily available.
Have you attended one of our cooking/nutrition classes?
Join us for “In the Kitchen with Shakthi.”
Follow us on FACEBOOK and TWITTER and stay up to date on all of our class offerings.